Smita M Agarwal ⋅ Traveling Alone ⋅ body massage and steam bath, how can i manage stress?, how to reduce prevent and cope With stress, how to relax - mind body & soul, simple relaxing and de-stressing techniques, steps to deal with stress, Stressed Up, take a deep breathe, yoga and meditation ⋅ No comments
Simple Relaxing and De-stressing Techniques
You don’t need a reason for stress; any reason would do! For some women, it would be marriage, pregnancy, leaving their job or raising their children. For some others, it would be being single, not having a proper relationship or not getting connected to the right people.
For few others, it could be the delay in the arrival of their maid servant, the traffic signals, queue in the picture halls or the delay in their flight schedules; there is no specific reason required for stress and anxiety; any reason would do!
However, de-stressing and relaxation are tough nuts to crack! Any reason wouldn’t do. Feeling stress-free and feeling relaxed in the body and mind needs plan, action and implementation of the action to achieve them! Again, for some it’s easy and for the rest of the lot, it’s really tough!
Certain common tips to achieve peace of mind, feeling de-stressed and feeling relaxed:
1. Take a Deep Breathe: This is the universal technique of getting relaxed immediately; if you are going to attend an interview, going to meet your date or even going to attend the PTA meet at your children’s school; take few deep breathes, gulp lot of air and you will feel immediately calmed down.
Make it a routine. Embrace the breathing exercise or Pranayama. It would do a lot of good for you. Do it in the early morning hours. When it becomes a routine, you would feel automatically relaxed at times of stress.
There are hundreds of meditation and yoga techniques. Meditation needs you to concentrate on a word or on the part in between your eyebrows. The word could be of God’s name or you may just repeat, “Relax” or any other positive word many times in your mind. You could even concentrate on your breathing. Relax your body, sit straight and take deep breathe before you start your meditation.
Yoga gives extremely positive results, when you do it in the right way you need a guru or a guide to train you and then you can you can practice on your own.
3. Morning Walk: The easiest of all the relaxation techniques is the early morning brisk walk in the park; that’s when you become one with the awakening dawn, the weak murmur of the sleepy birds, the mostly empty benches, trees, plants and the flowers, few elders, few youngsters, few children and you amongst them all!
Breathe in the fresh air, fill your eyes with the greenery and take a brisk walk!
Walking on green grass, bare feet is also therapeutic.
4. Keep your body hydrated: Drink plenty of water. Dehydrated body makes it difficult to concentrate on things in hand and thereby creates stress to the mind.
5. Books and Reading: Books have a huge heart: they allow you to enter into the lives of their characters. They take you away to the world beyond your world. You may visitSpain,Italy, India, Greenland andSouth Africaand more, simply by sitting on your comfortable coach. You just need to become a part of the characters.
I lost count of the countries I had visited with the characters of Robert Ludlum or Frederick Forsyth. That’s the power of reading and that’s the power of becoming one with their characters!
When you get loosened up completely, where is the space for your stress?
If you are a book lover, the reading would be your way of de-stressing after a hard day’s work or while travelling. If you are not a regular reader, you are missing out on something wonderful! In that case, you should start with some light reading and then take on from there.
6. Music and Listening: Listening music relaxes the core of your being; there is no better way of de-stressing and relaxing better than listening to music. It regulates your heart, stimulates your brain, reduces pain, promotes good sleep, well, that’s the power of music!
Whatever is your choice of music; hip hop to country to blue to metallic; just listen to your choice. That would do!
7. Body massage and steam bath:If you have the time and resources, you may indulge in the luxury of the de-stressing body massage and the relaxing steam bath. Soaking in the Spa would be another method of relaxing with water, flowers and fragrances.
8. Spend time with people you are comfortable with:Stay in positive company,whether they are friends, family, colleagues or neighbours, spending time with people you feel comfortable with, helps you to feel extremely relaxed. Do that often enough!
Q I am always short of time. I reach home quite late and my way of relaxation is sitting in front of the TV and trying to wind up. How can I otherwise feel relaxed?
The time is never short; we are short of options in using the time. You could get up early by an hour. You will have time for the morning walk, meditation or yoga.
On week-ends, you could spare a couple of hours for swimming, meeting friends, watching films, family outings etc.
While doing your household chores, you could listen to the music of your choice.
And you can take a couple of deep breathes often enough; you don’t need to allot specific time for that.
You need to fit yourself within the time frame for your own well being.
Sometimes, having too much stuff around leave you feeling overwhelmed and bog you down, eventually leading to stress. Living in messy surroundings brings in unwanted anxiety. That’s why you need to de-clutter to de-stress. Don’t start by clearing everything at once. That will only stress you further. Begin with small space and gradually moving to bigger things. A space that is uncluttered can feel satisfying and soothing.
All of us have work and family responsibilities, stressing out too much about them will simply cause more grief – both physically and mentally. Relaxation and de-stressing helps you to keep away from the ill health and diseases.
Read inspirational quotes! There is a world of lessons in them for your smooth life and living!
“Doing something positive will help turn your mood around. When you smile, your body relaxes. When you experience human touch and interaction, it eases tension in your body.”
E- book - How Can I Manage Stress?
E- book - Steps to deal with stress
No related posts.