“The problems of puzzles are very near the problems of life, our whole life is solving puzzles. If you are hungry, you have to find something to eat. But every day problems are very mixed – they’re not clear. problem depends just on you. You can solve it independently. But to find happiness in life, you’re not independent. That’s the only big difference”
•Santiz Erno Rubik
Puzzles and riddles have always intrigued us for ages. There is always this wonderful inquisitiveness, an eager to search for the final destination, a hundred ways and means of reaching out to the solution and looking in awe at the person who had solved the puzzle well before us!
Just like we do physical exercise to keep our body fit, the puzzles and riddles helps us to keep our mind healthy. They are the means of our mental exercise, to keep us alert, awake and aware of the various combination of the solution, similar to our reaching real solutions to our multiple problems in our real life. They help us to improve on our memory, sharpen our brain and reduce the chances of our developing diseases like Alzheimer, dementia etc.
Games like Cross words, jigsaw puzzles, Chess, Sudoku, Rubik’s Cube etc. are our own brain bashers and brain teasers. They throw challenge to us and teach us lesson of life. They teach us to think before we make a move in life, possible outcomes, keeping a time count, staying flexible etc.
Now, how to improve on our capability to solve the puzzles and riddles?
1. Refer to websites: There are thousands of puzzle based websites available on the net: practice playing on the net, trying to solve the puzzles and thereby, getting a knack of developing your ingenious ways and means of solving them.
2. Discuss with the other players: A lot of puzzle based web sites have got their members forums for discussions on the various issues and problems relating to the solutions for the puzzles. Make use of them. Ask questions and understand the logic behind the various combinations of the puzzles.
3. Don’t loose heart: After trying just for a few minutes or sometime, don’t loose patient and don’t turn to the answer page. You are worth more and should be able to try and crack open the puzzle and draw out a solution from it. There are no ready made answers for your real life issues and you do solve them somehow, isn’t it? Apply the same psychology here!
4. Take help from the inanimate objects: You may need the help of a dictionary, a thesaurus book, a pencil to note down your reasoning as well.
5. Patterns and Logic: You should look for patterns and use your logic to locate the missing piece in the pattern.
On Riddles -
“A riddle is a statement or question or phrase having a double or veiled meaning, put forth as a puzzle to be solved. Riddles are of two types: enigmas, which are problems generally expressed in metaphorical or allegorical language that require ingenuity and careful thinking for their solution, and conundrums, which are questions relying for their effects on punning in either the question or the answer.
- Wikipedia, the free Encyclopaedia.
1. Types of Riddles: As Wiki says there are two types of riddles and you should be able to understand what you are dealing with before you even start working on your riddle. That’s the primary requirement of any riddle.
2. Misleading Riddles: Riddles are meant to mislead you into thinking a response which may not be true. The only way to solve the riddle is to think from outside the box and not to take into account the obvious answer.
3. Multiple Meanings: Every word has multiple meanings. Take into account all the meanings and then, try to fit the right one into the riddle.
4. Use what’s available: There is nothing wrong in using the hints, cheats, tips and tricks that are available all over the net. You can also take the help from the friendly riddle forums for solutions.
Q Though I like to play the games of puzzles and riddles,I just can’t continue if I don’t get it right in a short while.I simply refer to the solutions page. How to go about it?
Turning to the solutions page is the most natural thing to do in case of the puzzles and riddles for a lot of people.However, as these games are of entirely different genre, they need a lot of patience, time, logical thinking, some mathematical skills and the works. You may even need to take the help of thesaurus, dictionary etc.The only solution to your problem is to do the impossible whenever you can. The more you play such games, the more you will learn the skills and your brain will start getting used to solving them. Above all, your brain will become sharp, more active; can draw multiple solutions for any issue and shall get a boost to your thought-process.
Q Can riddle solving be helpful in academic sphere?
Today’s corporate world aims at analysing more of an individual’s common sense and outlook to complex problems. Hence it is been observed that most competitive exams and entrance tests, such as GMAT, CAT, SAT etc have incorporated riddles and application based problems.
In a way, puzzles and riddles are an extension of our real life complications. They challenge us to solve their mystery and we are enthralled into taking up their mighty challenge too!
“Life is a puzzle. Sometimes it makes us laugh. Sometimes it makes us cry.”
There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.
Thank you for reading this article please share your views and feedback
No related posts.